Friday, January 25, 2008

Safe Haven

Safe Haven

"I told them, I know who planted bombs in the train!" exclaimed Rahul to the crowd, which was watching him with glazed eyes and unwavering awe.

"I went on to describe them. One had orangeish hair, with a scar down his cheek. The second guy had pink hair. He had grotesquely coloured blue-red eyes. The third was a female, or so she seemed to me, and she was wearing no clothes!"

Silence in the gathering.

"Its amazing, isn't it? But their response was more incredible. 'Are you crazy, you lunatic?' they said"

A few appreciative chuckles ruffled through the gathering.

"You are certifiably crazy, one of them said. I denied that. I told them I was not drunk. Their tests confirmed that. They took me to a shrink, where I repeated my story and also rattled off my other heroic; how I saved the world from drowning by drinking a lot of the flood waters from that gutter of a river"

Clapping from the assembly.

"That's how I ended up here" finished Rahul, pointing towards the seven storied building housing the mental asylum.

Later, Rahul was joined by another person of similar standing, Rohit.
"You love blabbering, don't you? However, I wish you'd stop that. I fear, one day, they are going to realize our game and chuck us out of this safe haven"

"Safe haven is right. Where else in this city can you get free food, clean clothes, and good medical care? Better live a secure life in an asylum than as a destitute roaming the unsafe streets of the metropolis" said Rahul.

"What if they catch onto us?"

"Who cares? I am sure both of us can cook up another tall story to come back to this particular tall story!" said Rahul, again pointing towards the aslyum building.

[This story has been submitted for consideration in the Flash Fiction contest being conducted by Caferati as part of the Kala Ghoda Festival. More details can be found here: http://caferati.blogspot.com/]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice thought.. safe heaven. Btw you have 2 blogs one is Serious and one is Humurous right? But when I checked out ur "Random musings.." & there too I found same posts.

Anonymous said...

Jun 2009 :

Fabregas leaves club to join boyhood idols Barcelona after yet another trophyless season at the Emirates. Farbregas said, " I love Arsenal,I bleed red & white corpuscles, my dog,wife,mistress all love it her, BUT I love Barca more "

Wenger said " I deent see heem. Deed he play that well ? I have the breeliant 7 yr old from Canary Islands... blah"

U just know it !